Sogeti World Quality Report 2016-2017
As Digital Transformation sweeps the world, more and more of an organisations services are exposed to direct customer interaction. In order to deliver towards such objectives, the QA and Testing function is rapidly re-inventing itself.
World Quality Report 2016-17, jointly published by Sogeti, Capgemini and HP, clearly showed that this past year has seen an unrelenting uptake of new technologies, including the Internet of Things, as organisations seek to disrupt with digital at an ever faster pace. This eighth edition of the World Quality Report illustrates the impact of these trends on the Quality Assurance (QA) and Testing function, which is increasingly required to transform into a business enabler and secure client value from Digital Transformation programs
This year’s research was conducted among 1.600 CIOs and IT and testing leaders from 32 countries across the globe. It reveals a shifting set of primary objectives for the QA and testing function compared to last year. It's a change that reflects a desire to stay close to the essential objective of testing, which is to prevent serious defects from reaching production, but always related to the higher objectives of customer value and business outcomes.
- Digital Transformation continues to drive IT strategy and make itself felt in the QA and Testing function.
- Agile and DevOps continue to grow in adoption, with QA making a corresponding move.
- The emergence of Internet of Things functionality is a disrupting force with the potential to increase the impact of failure.
- The challenges around managing and driving down the cost of test enviornment management are growing.
- The continued requirement to find effective at every level in QA and Testing remains evident despite this year's success in containing costs.
Key recommendations from this year’s report:
- Invest in intelligent self-learnng QA and Testing platforms for all areas of the application landscape.
- Adopt a QA approach for DevOps, agile and traditional - powered by enablement teams that help to truly shift left quality.
- Invest in as-a-service solutions for test enviorment management, test data management, and test execution.
- Develop Internet of Things-specific test strategies
- Manage quality with simple balanced scorecards per Line of Business and per application or process.